In 2017, we launched Commitment to Zero, our bold sustainability pledge to achieve zero net emissions, zero waste to landfill, and zero net operating impact on forests and habitat by 2030. Since then our company has continued to grow and with that so has our commitment. We are on track to achieve our goals in large part because of the determination and dedication of so many of our employees.
This is going to be a big year for us, and we’ll need all hands on deck. Here’s what’s coming up for Commitment to Zero in 2020:
1. Our zero waste to landfill goal is arguably the most challenging of the three pillars of Zero and requires the support of our local communities and guests. We have set an interim goal to achieve 50% waste diversion by the end of 2020. In 2019 we achieved a 44.1% waste diversion rate, and now we need your help moving it up to 50%. You can help us achieve this goal by:
- Being mindful of your consumption and reducing your waste when possible.
- Sorting your personal waste correctly. Together we can make sure that nothing ends up in landfills that could have been recycled or composted.
- Participating in the Leadership Waste Sorting Program, if applicable. Grade 27+ resort employees are currently assisting with waste sorting and learning how to properly sort waste at their resort.
2. Last year, we executed a 12-year virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) for wind power. Scheduled to come online this summer, this new wind project we are helping to bring online will reduce our emissions by addressing approximately 100% of our 2019 North American electricity use.
As a Company, we are deeply committed to where we work, live and play. Our goals require dedication and resolve from every one of us. We encourage you to read the 2019 Progress Report and look for ways that you can minimize waste as we move toward zero. If you have questions or want to get involved please email the Epic Promise team.